Thank you for your interest in being a part of Derby City Comic Con’s Costume Contest. Cosplay is one of the most exciting aspects of a convention for many of the attendees and we first of all just want to thank you for being a part of what makes Derby City so great! We know this show wouldn’t be the same without you and we are excited to have you here.
The adult contest pre-judging will be held at 3:00 on Saturday June 25th in rooms 101 &104! You can register here! Please print and bring your registration to the show. We also accept up to 40 signups in person on the day of the show. Pre-registration will speed up the process and ensure your place in the contest but you will still need to check-in with us by 3pm on June 25th to be eligible for the contest. We will try to get everyone in the contest but time is limited so spaces in the contest will be first come first serve. Please be at room 101/104 by 3pm to be in the costume contest.
We will award prizes (to be determined) in 3 categories:
Best Craftsmanship of Costume: We want to see and honor those people who put the most effort into making their own costumes in every category but this is one that will be judged most strictly on craftsmanship. - $150 cash prize
Best Representation of Character: This is where personality and creativity can shine a bit more. Do you really embody the character? Do you take a character and bring out something bigger and better about them? Or do have a costume so accurate people think you stole it off the movie set? This is the category for you! - $150 cash prize
Best Props/Epicness: Sometimes a costume is about more than just what you are wearing. It is about all of the other pieces you create to make a character pop. In this category additional consideration will be given to what the props add to a costume. This can be anything from a steampunk pistol, to a full set of hawkman wings. - $150 cash prize
Best in Show: The best of the best! - $500 cash prize
Our panel of three judges will evaluate and assign points to each contestant on the following criteria:
- Quality of Crafting
- Trueness to the Spirit of the Character,
- Personality on Stage
- Use of Props/Wow Factor
For children 12 and under the costume contest will be held at 11:00am on Sunday. Kids do not need to pre-register but please be in rooms 102/103 no later than 11AM to be in the costume contest. This contest will also be evaluated by the same criteria as the adults, but with consideration given to the ages and abilities of those involved.
1. You must have a badge to enter. Children must be attended by a paying adult.
2. As they say: No costume is NO COSTUME. Derby City Comic Con is a family friendly environment. All costumes must be tasteful. The minimum coverage that will be allowed in the contest is a bikini. This means body paint, latex, pasties, etc. are not considered adequate body coverage. The judgment of what is acceptable is the sole discretion of the DCCC Staff.
3. All contestants must be able to get on and off the stage safely. If you need help getting on or off stage because of your costume, you may have one handler with you.
4. Do not leave anything on stage. For safety reasons, things like confetti, fireworks, glitter, flash paper, rose petals, water and other small messy objects are strictly forbidden. Also food, remote control devices, or animals (except for service animals) are not allowed on stage. Throwing any objects into the audience is forbidden.
5. Weapons: On stage, non-firing toy or prop weapons will be allowed at the discretion of the Costume Contest Director. All prop weapons must be demonstrated to be non-functioning to the Costume Contest Director prior to the costume contest. You may not throw or whip props around. “Live” or functioning weapons are not allowed in the costume contest, even if they are allowed in other areas of the convention. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THIS RULE WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION AND/OR EVICTION FROM THE STAGE.
6. You may not run/jump onstage or offstage or perform any other acrobatics. One foot must remain on the ground at all times. Any contestant or group that does not obey this rule will be immediately disqualified and any resulting injuries will be their responsibility.
7. Costumes that have previously won awards at Derby City Comic Con are not eligible for awards.
8. Have fun! This is meant to be an enjoyable experience for everyone involved. If you have any questions about the costume contest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org